WANTAWAY Liverpool striker Luis Suarez has accused the club of reneging on an agreement in his contract which stated he could leave Anfield this summer if they had not qualified for the Champions League.
The Uruguay international has also said he will submit a written transfer request by the end of the week if the Merseyside outfit continue to block a potential move to Arsenal.
Suarez, in interviews given to the Daily Telegraph and The Guardian, said he believes a clause written into the contract he signed last summer entitles him to a move.
“Last year I had the opportunity to move to a big European club and I stayed on the understanding that if we failed to qualify for the Champions League the following season I’d be allowed to go,” the 26-year-old said.
“I gave absolutely everything last season but it was not enough to give us a top-four finish – now all I want is for Liverpool to honour our agreement.”
Liverpool have rejected two bids from Arsenal – of £30million and £40,000,001 – for Suarez this summer.
FIRST the Bedroom Tax (boo, hiss) and now this.
Once Prime Minister David Cameron accused Luis Suarez of setting “the most appalling example” by biting Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic, the Liverpool striker was always going to be made an example of, says QPR boss Harry Redknapp.
Redknapp said he expected Suarez’s “fierce” sanction after the storm of debate that followed of the incident.
“I could see it coming. Once politicians have opinions, you could see he was going to be hammered, for sure,” he said.
“He’s such a player, just the most fantastic footballer. I think he’s amazing. You’d absolutely love to have him playing in your team. He could play in any team in the world he is that good so it’s a shame that he goes off the rails.
“He can’t do it again. It’s quite a fierce punishment, 10 games, but he’s got to learn.”
MIKE Tyson believes Liverpool striker Luis Suarez will make up with Branislav Ivanovic – just as the former world boxing champion did with Evander Holyfield.
Suarez is facing an extended ban from the Football Association for biting Chelsea defender Ivanovic on the arm in Sunday’s 2-2 draw at Anfield.
Tyson was involved in similar controversy when he bit off a chunk of Evander Holyfield’s ear in the WBA heavyweight title fight between the two in 1997.
The Americans have since settled their differences and Tyson is confident Suarez and Ivanovic will do the same.
He said: “Suarez bit someone, it happens. I am sure he will make amends with this guy.
“I made amends with Evander and we got on with our lives.”
LUIS Suarez will be offered anger management counselling after biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic, the Professional Footballers’ Association has revealed.
Suarez has apologised for his “inexcusable behaviour” after the biting incident during the 2-2 draw at Anfield yesterday that has left the Uruguay international facing the prospect of a lengthy ban.
It is the latest in a series of unsavoury incidents in Suarez’s career – including a previous biting incident in Holland and an eight-match ban for racist abuse – and PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor said the players’ union would offer the striker help to deal with his temper.
Taylor said: “There is no doubting his football ability, that’s why it is so disappointing and embarrassing when he lets himself down.
“We have to work hard on anger management now. We have trained counsellors in this field and we will be offering their services to Liverpool and the player to try to improve matters.”
STOKE City have snaffled up free agent Michael Owen on a one-year-deal.
The 32-year-old striker – scorer of some 261 competitive goals for club and country – will join the club as a free agent after he was released by Manchester United.
Owen was linked to several clubs this summer – most strongly Liverpool after his former club were left with just Borini and Suarez as senior strikers – but Potters boss Tony Pulis has secured the signature of the former England frontman.
WITH the New Year approaching faster than a Gareth Bale counter-attack, I believe the time is right to recap Goaltastic’s best blogs of 2011.
And when I say best, I mean most read.
In reverse order, they are…
10 – Manchester City signing Clichy once cheated death.
9 – My hilarious Fernando Torres April Fools post
8 – “Rooney, Rooney, Rooney”
7 – Roman Abramovich gets his chopper out
6 – Suarez signing excitement
5 – Manchester United to sign favourite son’s son
4 – Massive boobs story nets huge internet traffic spike shocker
3 – Boring Nasri to sign for Manchester City announcement
2 – Macheda accidentally confirmed the Sneijder deal which never actually happened
1 – The greatest football rumour of the year bar none. Seriously, this never gets old.
Happy New Year!
MANCHESTER United striker Wayne Rooney is the only Englishman on the 23-man shortlist for the prestigious Ballon d’Or.
Rooney has bounced back from an awful 2010, helping to guide United to their record 19th league title, reach their third Champions League final in four seasons and contribute to a rapid start to this campaign before the shuddering derby defeat to Manchester City.
Yet the only other United player listed for the award is Nani, who won his club’s players’ player of the year prize but was surprisingly left out of the starting line-up for the Champions League final defeat to Barcelona at Wembley by Sir Alex Ferguson.
Ferguson has been nominated in the coach of the year category, along with Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas and Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger.
Only five players on the shortlist have Premier League connections, two of which – Cesc Fabregas and Sergio Aguero – spent only half of 2011 in England – compared to 15 in Spain.
Liverpool’s Luis Suarez has been included and while Manchester City fans will be delighted at the recognition afforded to Aguero, they may be surprised at David Silva’s omission.
European champions Barcelona lead the way with eight nominees, including Lionel Messi, winner for the last two years, with close rivals Real Madrid boasting five.